[platform-releng-dev] Please sign here

As of tonight's build, all non-test plugins will be signed by the eclipse.org certificate as part of the build process.   With a few minor exceptions, teams will not have to do anything to their plugins to accommodate signing.  It will be handled transparently by the build process.  I'll open bugs against teams who may have specify options in their plugins to exclude certain jars from the signing process.

Signing our build allows meets one of the requirements for participation in Europa

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Europa_Simultaneous_Release#Must_Do

As well, it will appease the many who have asked  "Hey, why don't you sign your jars?" and the infamous "Why am I always prompted in update manager about  installing unsigned  jars?"

For more information about JAR signing, please refer to these fine documents written by the core team.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/JAR_Signing
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/JarProcessor_Options

The signing process takes 45-60 minutes to complete.  The time that the build process takes to generate the drops has increased accordingly.

Kim

Back to the top