Re: [platform-releng-dev] Improve integration builds storage and history on Eclipse download page

Ooops I'm not blind, just have misread download page address...
Thanks Michael :-)

Cordialement/Regards,

Frédéric

             Michael Van
             Meekeren
             <Michael_Van_Meek                                          To
             eren@xxxxxxxxxx>          "Eclipse platform release
             Sent by:                  engineering list."
             platform-releng-d         <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             ev-bounces@eclips                                          cc
             e.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [platform-releng-dev] Improve
             09/22/2005 03:25          integration     builds      storage
             PM                        and       history on Eclipse
                                       download page

             Please respond to
             "Eclipse platform
                  release
                engineering
                  list."

Frédéric

It's only for the first build of the day.  You have to click on the
I20050921-0100 build.

/michael

 Frederic Fusier
 <frederic_fusier@xxxxx
 m.com>                                                                 To
 Sent by:                              "Eclipse platform release
 platform-releng-dev-bo                engineering list."
 unces@xxxxxxxxxxx                     <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

 09/22/2005 09:18 AM                                               Subject
                                       Re: [platform-releng-dev] Improve
                                       integration builds        storage
    Please respond to                  and        history on Eclipse
    "Eclipse platform                  download page
   release engineering
         list."

Thanks Kim for your quick answers.

However, I cannot figure out where I can find performance results for
I20050921-0010 on the download page
(http://fullmoon.torolab.ibm.com/downloads/drops/I20050921-2000/index.php).
There's usually a "Performance results" link but I cannot see anyone. Am I
blind or is there something wrong?

About point #2, I do not think it's so hard to do. Usually, when build have
errors, teams answer in a day to let people know whether it's usable or
not.
By the way, rule may be simpler: an integration build must be deleted if a
team requests for a re-build. Then there will be always only one build
stored per week (except for milestone week of course...).
As you said, disk space is cheap, so I think it's really important not to
store builds already identified as invalid...

Cordialement/Regards,

Frédéric

            Kim Moir
            <Kim_Moir@xxxxxx.
            Sent by:                  "Eclipse platform release
            platform-releng-d         engineering list."
            ev-bounces@eclips         <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
            e.org                                                      cc

                                                                  Subject
            09/22/2005 02:49          Re: [platform-releng-dev] Improve
            PM                        integration builds storage  and
                                      history on Eclipse download page

            Please respond to
            "Eclipse platform
                 release
               engineering
                 list."

Yes, I understand your concerns.  The reason that we don't save so many
builds is that we simply don't have enough space on the servers to
accomodate them all. We have a disk space quota on the eclipse.org servers
and we are always hitting it and asking for more.  Disk space is cheap, but
the real issue is that all of these builds are pushed to downstream mirrors
which consumes bandwidth.  Currently we store about 40GB of builds for a
full mirror.

There are performance results for I20050921-0010 currently available on the
download page.  Performance always  run for the first build of the day. I
always delete builds that fail manually but will investigate if there is a
way to implement this in our build script.   I don't think point #2 is
really feasible because this means each build would have to be signed off
on by the teams to indicate that it is usable.  I'll ensure that the test
candidate build is kept around next time.

Kim

Frederic Fusier
<frederic_fusier@xxxxxx.
com>                                                                   To
Sent by:                               "Eclipse platform release
platform-releng-dev-boun               engineering list."
ces@xxxxxxxxxxx                        <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                       cc

09/22/2005 07:09 AM                                               Subject
                                       [platform-releng-dev] Improve
                                       integration builds storage and
    Please respond to                  history on Eclipse download page
    "Eclipse platform
   release engineering
         list."

Currently, there are 5 integration builds links stored on Eclipse download
page which point to corresponding files stored on build boxes.
Usually, that means developers/users can retrieve integration builds over 5
weeks.

But, sometimes (quite often in fact), there are several integration builds
per week as some of them are not usable.
Moreover, during a milestone week, 12 integration builds are officially
planned!
So, it seems to me that store only 5 previous builds is clearly not enough,
especially during milestone weeks.

For example, this week for M2, we have no longer access to performance
results page since Tuesday because performance tests were run only once on
warm-up build (Monday at 00:10).
Also, final 3.2 test candidate build was done on Tuesday 00:10 but has
become not accessible from download page since Wednesday evening
(if one forgot to save this build, there's no way to retrieve it from
there...)

I think following proposals may improve integration builds storage and
history in Eclipse Download page:
1) Cancelled build should not be put on Eclipse download page (there's
nothing to link to...)
2) Only usable builds (ie. builds without errors or with errors which do
not affect quality of the build) should be put in "Stream Integration
Build" section.
3) During milestone week, no usable build should be deleted until the
milestone was delivered even if there are more than 5 ones

Hope these proposals make any sense...

Cordialement/Regards,

Frédéric