Re: [platform-releng-dev] Improve integration builds storage and history on Eclipse download page

Yes, I understand your concerns.  The reason that we don't save so many builds is that we simply don't have enough space on the servers to accomodate them all. We have a disk space quota on the eclipse.org servers and we are always hitting it and asking for more.  Disk space is cheap, but the real issue is that all of these builds are pushed to downstream mirrors which consumes bandwidth.  Currently we store about 40GB of builds for a full mirror.

There are performance results for I20050921-0010 currently available on the download page.  Performance always  run for the first build of the day. I always delete builds that fail manually but will investigate if there is a way to implement this in our build script.   I don't think point #2 is really feasible because this means each build would have to be signed off on by the teams to indicate that it is usable.  I'll ensure that the test candidate build is kept around next time.

Kim

Frederic Fusier <frederic_fusier@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/22/2005 07:09 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse platform release engineering list."

"Eclipse platform release engineering list." <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-releng-dev] Improve integration builds storage and        history on Eclipse download page

Currently, there are 5 integration builds links stored on Eclipse download
page which point to corresponding files stored on build boxes.
Usually, that means developers/users can retrieve integration builds over 5
weeks.

But, sometimes (quite often in fact), there are several integration builds
per week as some of them are not usable.
Moreover, during a milestone week, 12 integration builds are officially
planned!
So, it seems to me that store only 5 previous builds is clearly not enough,
especially during milestone weeks.

For example, this week for M2, we have no longer access to performance
results page since Tuesday because performance tests were run only once on
warm-up build (Monday at 00:10).
Also, final 3.2 test candidate build was done on Tuesday 00:10 but has
become not accessible from download page since Wednesday evening
(if one forgot to save this build, there's no way to retrieve it from
there...)

I think following proposals may improve integration builds storage and
history in Eclipse Download page:
1) Cancelled build should not be put on Eclipse download page (there's
nothing to link to...)
2) Only usable builds (ie. builds without errors or with errors which do
not affect quality of the build) should be put in "Stream Integration
Build" section.
3) During milestone week, no usable build should be deleted until the
milestone was delivered even if there are more than 5 ones

Hope these proposals make any sense...

Cordialement/Regards,

Frédéric