Re: [platform-releng-dev] improved checking for internal references

Personally, I don't think it is a big deal to go through the violation results file and make sure any valid cross-plugin references get properly addressed in the component.xml. This is only for classes used accross plug-ins, not every class in a plug-in. And if you forget to update the component.xml accordingly, no build will be broken, the violation will just be reported.

But I agree with Peter - if the tool just obtained the information it needs from javadoc annotations in the Java source files, that would be more easily maintanable.

Rafael

February 17, 2005 11:51 AM
To: platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc:
From: Peter Manahan/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Subject: Re: [platform-releng-dev] improved checking for internal references

I think the idea of the component.xml is great and something that has been needed for a long time. But the potential for it to get out of date is very likely.

Perhaps if the component.xml was generated at build time.  I assume the javadoc is built that way and since normally API is defined in javadoc perhaps something could be added as a tag that allowed the generation of the component.xml. Keeping all the information with the java files where hopefully the API javadoc is kept up to date.

Thanks,

Peter Manahan
IBM Rational Tools
Common Install