[platform-dev] Best approach to branch good old Eclipse 3.8

Hello, all.

I don't know if this list is the best place to ask this question, but given the kind of thing our team aims to do I believe you might give us good advice.

We develop an RCP application that is still based on Eclipse 3.8.  We have not updated it because of the various changes made on Eclipse's interface, most notably the removal of Presentation classes.

In the last few weeks we've been working on changes to make our application compatible with Java 9+.  So far we're happy with what we've done: compile our own versions of both org.eclipse.equinox.launcher and org.eclipse.osgi plugins, making the necessary changes to make our application work.  Most of those changes we do are based on the changes made on both plugins on Eclipse 4.

But the deeper we dig, the harder things get. And we're thinking about changing our approach.  So here's the request for your advice.

Which do you think is best?
 - Keep working to port Eclipse 4 changes into Eclipse 3.8 code (mostly, make Eclipse 3.8's plugins able to handle changes in class loading and multi-release jars and that kind of stuff)
or
 - Upgrade our whole RCP to Eclipse 4 and work on adding back the Presentation classes.

Thanks in advance.

Mario Marinato
~ Rio de Janeiro/Brazil

Back to the top