From: Gregor Schmid <gschmide@xxxxxx>
Sent: 10 October 2020 23:26
To: platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [platform-dev] Inconsistent version change in SWT 4.18

Hi all,

I just started porting our software to SWT 4.18M1 and am mystified by a new break in the versioning scheme:

Can somebody please shed some light on why MINOR_VERSION in org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library was changed from 936 to 940 instead of 938 for SWT 4.18?

My understanding was that starting with eclipse 4.10 - due to running out of digits in the old numbering scheme - Library constants were switched to MAJOR_VERSION ("always" 4), MINOR_VERSION and REVISION, with MINOR_VERSION being incremented by 2 for each quarterly release.

Looking at the gitlab source I see tags 4936* followed by 4940* but none for 4938.

Git blame shows the latest MINOR_VERSION change coming from releng bot on Sep 3, commit a499996d56afce9859b8773d4b91bc8ba2b11d58

Curiously, the change was from 938 to 940. The previous change from
936 to 938 happened on the same day, commit
f6e1d955d81678d06d8e4f2c13dc83803ccb9fa1

So why did that happen? Was the version update triggered twice by accident? Did anybody notice?

More importantly, what's going to happen now? It is my hope that we are not slaves to the build system and somebody can and will override this manually. If the 4.18 MINOR_VERSION stays at 940, all code that tries to map old-style version numbers to Library *_VERSION constants will break and need tweaking for yet another special case.

I strongly suggest that this should get fixed sooner rather than later lest more people start to adopt 4.18 and implement workarounds.

Best regards,
Greg

--
Gregor Schmid

E: gregor.schmid@xxxxxx
T: +49 8171 38648-11
F: +49 8171 38648-16

Quality First Software GmbH | www.qfs.de Tulpenstr. 41 | 82538 Geretsried | Germany GF Gregor Schmid, Dr. Martina Schmid, Karlheinz Kellerer HRB München 140833

The data protection information in accordance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation applies to authorized representatives / authorized representatives of "legal persons" in accordance with Art.
12 ff. DS-GVO
https://www.qfs.de/fileadmin/Webdata/pdf/en/dsgvo.pdf