Re: [platform-dev] Marking nested projects as derived, what are the risks?

Beside the javadoc that explains a lot, "derived" is used to determine if the files are "throw away" candidates.

So from the Eclipse code point of view it is:

- "safe" to delete all derived resources (they can be recreated from sources)
- uninteresting to search in derived resources (they are not "sources")
- don't care during refactoring (they are not "sources")
- don't care during move/delete (they are not "sources")
- OK to add them to "ignored" for team operations (they are not "sources")

Look in SDK who uses isDerived() - you will find ~150 matches, with ~50 for setDerived().
EGit *for sure* will be broken in few places if isDerived() will report true for regular projects / resources. Just grep the code for the use of isDerived().
All builders (and build related code) will most likely affected, all version control contributions, many generators etc.
CDT, XText, EGit, ECore are relying on that flag to be properly managed. *Our* Advantest product relies on that.

So with the proposal to mark nested resources as "derived" all the code above will be fooled sooner or later.

Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

Спасение утопающих - дело рук самих утопающих

https://www.eclipse.org/user/aloskutov