Re: [platform-core-dev] New platform NLS support

Bob Foster wrote on 22/02/2005 04:57:46 PM:

> I must have misunderstood the story. I thought the property files were
> still around, making two places to edit. Instead, it must be a one-time
> conversion, leaving the property files behind? How does one
> internationalize this stuff?

The property files are still around (mainly because this is a convenient and familiar format for translators).  I said the only *extra* work was to define the field for the key.  As before, the key must also exist in the properties file.  This is where the "opportunity for tooling" comes in to help keep these files in sync :)

I do realize that without tools to help you, this new API is slighly more complex to use than the normal Java property file story. I believe the extra work is worth it to make Eclipse faster and smaller.  Unfortunately developer convienence and application performance are sometimes antithetical.

Back to the top