Re: [pde-ui-dev] plugin classpath ...

Are we addressing a development time issue here or a runtime issue?

Runtime does not resolve JDT classpath variables.

But using Bundle-ClassPath: external:$GWT_HOME$/gwt.jar
should work as long as the java system property GWT_HOME is set when the
framework is launched, not a JDT classpath variable.

None of this will of course work at development time if they are exporting
packages from gwt.jar because PDE will not understand the external: stuff
and will not find the jar to add to other bundles classpaths when they
import/require.

There is no push from our runtime friends for the tooling (PDE) to support
external:,  so it is relatively a low priority as far as PDE development
goes.

Wassim.

             "Neil Bartlett"
             <neil@integility.
             Sent by:                  "Eclipse PDE UI developers list."
             pde-ui-dev-bounce         <pde-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             s@xxxxxxxxxxx                                              cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/26/2006 10:57          Re: [pde-ui-dev] plugin classpath
             AM                        ...

             Please respond to
              "Eclipse PDE UI
             developers list."
             <pde-ui-dev@eclip
                  se.org>

TG,

The example given in the RCP book states that, on the MANIFEST.MF
Bundle-ClassPath entry, you can replace "jdbc.jar" with
"external:$JDBC_HOME$/drivers/jdbc.jar", where JDBC_HOME is either an
environment variable or a system property. Unfortunately it won't work
with JDT classpath variables - anyway these are set too late for the
bundle resolver.

If the gwt.jar only needs to be used from one plugin then you could
just create your own URLClassLoader in order to load classes from it.
Those classes won't be exportable to other bundles, though.

Regards
Neil