Re: [papyrus4edu] TR on Papyrus in education

Dear all,

This subject is very interesting and in line with my 25 years of teaching experience both in programming and modeling.

I have one feeling related to the availability of tools that allow engineers to get confidence in the correctness of their proposals.

It is very easy in programming to test early versions of programs and get confidence that we are on the right direction.

It is more complicated to assess a design. Such an assessment is usually based on experience with previous systems which is not appropriate for students.

The difference can be observed when the design activity rely on sophisticated toolset with simulation facilities like Simulink/Stateflow with respect to basic model editors like in UML.

I think we must take into account this kind of elements to avoid a bias toward programming.

Best,
Marc

Le 19 oct. 2015 à 10:51, Grischa Liebel <grischa@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Hi Bran,
>
> Thanks a lot for the nice feedback and the reflection.
> Your reflection is pretty much in line with my (short) experience in teaching, even though I must say that in my opinion this distinction is often heavily based on the peoples’ experience. Often, I find that ‘designers’, as you name them, are the ones with more practical experience. Basically people who have learned that programming (and a certain programming language) is not everything.
>
> I would be very interested in this kind of study! One interesting approach would be to correlate affinity to programming with ‘mainstream' personality type assessments (e.g. MBTI). I know two people here at our division with the ‘right’ knowledge in the psychology area, so I could ask them for some preliminary input.
> If we manage to get a nice study design, this could in fact be a very nice study to run at multiple places (both academia and industry).
> What about collecting general interest in this?
>
> Cheers,
> Grischa
>
> From: Bran Selic <selic@xxxxxxx>
> Date: Monday 19 October 2015 10:38
> To: Papyrus 4 EDU discussions <papyrus4edu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [papyrus4edu] TR on Papyrus in education
>
> Thanks a lot, Grischa, for this excellent report. Much of what is documented reflects my own experiences in teaching modeling to undergraduates at the U. of Sydney. (I wish I had your report available at the time, it would have helped a great deal.)
>
> One sentence in the report struck me in particular:
>
> "we often noticed that especially students who really enjoy programming have a hard time to see the benefits of modelling in general"
>
> ​This too reflected my experience, not just in teaching but in industrial practice. Based on that I have come up with a putative theory that there is an important distinction between what I would call "designers" ("architects"?) and "programmers". It is my belief that the distinction has to do with what motivates individuals. Both groups are problem solvers by nature and both require intelligence and skill. However, I find that designers are more interested in solving the application problem whereas the programmers are more interested in solving the problem of programming. Like craftsmen who take pride in their mastery of the complex skills required by their craft, they are often content to implement designs conceived by others. This is not to say that they are not creative, but the type of design challenges that they most enjoy solving is how to translate a concept into a computer-based implementation.

> [...]

Marc Pantel
Maître de Conférences en Informatique
Assistant Professor in Computer Science
IRIT - Institut de Recherche en Informatique de Toulouse - CNRS
N7 - INPT - Université de Toulouse - France - Europe
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Rue+Charles+Camichel,+31000+Toulouse,+France&z=16
phone +(33) 534 32 2185
fax +(33) 534 32 2157
cell +(33) 676 221 687