Subject: Papyrus-RT v1.0 release
Date: January 5,2017 at 17:21:30 EST
To: Peter Cigehn <Peter.Cigehn@xxxxxxxxx>, Patrik Nandorf <patrik.nandorf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Francis Bordeleau <francisbordeleau1@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Simon Redding <sredding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

There seems to have been a difference in the way the upcoming Papyrus-RT release readiness has been evaluated by product and project management, and I would like clarify my understanding on the matter, from the product management point of view.

The way I had planned the MVPs, they, of course, represent the minimal functionality required for a release. Since MVP2 is aligned with 0.9, my understanding was that all the bugs currently assigned to 0.9 would meet the needs for MVP2 (i.e., the minimal functionality for the release), but would not necessarily everything that would be part of the release. Following this, as we got closer to the MVP2/0.9 release, we could have made a decision to release as 1.0 if that met Ericsson’s needs for a 1.0 release (which I assumed to align with MVP2 as no one commented on its content). I have stated this view multiple times since the work started on MVP2, which is why it was tagged “(v0.9 - v1.0 candidate) in the MVP and why MVP2 was assigned to v0.9 in the wiki. As such, I was considering the bugs assigned to 1.0 as non-gating for an MVP2 release. For these reasons, the progress of MVP2 on the wiki was only taking into account bugs assigned to v0.9.

With that understanding, my confidence in meeting an end of January/February release was based on MVP2 functionality and bugs currently assigned to v0.9.

If we now take into account the bugs assigned to 1.0, we are almost doubling the numbers of bugs still to be closed for a 1.0 release (49 not closed in 0.9; plus 44 not closed in 1.0). If this is the plan to be followed, I am NO LONGER confident that a February release would be possible.

So… What is Ericsson’s thoughts with regard to this?
  • Are both the bugs assigned v0.9 and v1.0 gating the next release (whether 0.9 or 1.0)?
  • Are the bugs assigned to v0.9 sufficient for a v1.0 release?
  • Is a v0.9 release with only the bugs currently assigned to v0.9 with a subsequent v1.0 release an option?
  • Should the v0.9 release be dropped in favor of a v1.0 release that would happen later (e.g., in March)?

Let’s discuss in tomorrow’s meeting.

Regards,

Charles Rivet
Senior Product Manager, Papyrus-RT product lead

Back to the top