Re: [papyrus-rt-dev] UML Real-Time preference pages

Peter brings up a good point, we need to standardize on how we want to deal with this.

As per the referenced bug, I did express my opinion on this, but it probably could have been clearer. I will add this response to the bug discussion.

As I stated in the bug, screen real estate is always an issue, so I am a proponent of shorter strings whenever the understanding is not compromised. And please don’t bring up the fact that monitor resolution and size have both increased over the year - developers still and will always want more space - and use it all!

When it comes to the term “Real-Time”, the industry has been using the hyphenated version more frequently than not when it comes to names and titles.

It should also be noted that, over the years, “UML Real-Time” has been used to both represent the ROOM-based approach used in Papyrus-RT and as a generic name for any “real-time” approach based on UML (also sometimes seen as “UML for Real-Time”). In order to be clearer when creating the Papyrus-RT project proposal at Eclipse, I have used more precise terms (UML-RT vs. RT-UML vs. xtUML).

In this context, I would prefer “UML-RT” as it is the name that is most often associated with the ROOM-based approach currently available in Papyrus-RT. I would use the hyphenated version “UML Real-Time” as a second choice and if the screen real estate permits it.

I am, as ever, open to dissenting opinions.

Sincerely,

Charles Rivet
Senior Product Manager
charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx