Re: [papyrus-rt-dev] Code formatting and checkstyle rules

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for this fruitful discussion! I could see here a lot of proposals and volunteers ;)

I would propose the following things:

-        Papyrus-RT should reuse the Papyrus default formatter, as this would reduce work when ‘upgrading’ some code from Papyrus-RT to generic Papyrus. It is also very similar to default formatter AFAIR.

-        Papyrus-RT should reuse a checkstyle configuration close to a generic configuration, as for example the one in Sonar. I would prefer not to get too far from existing configurations, and a simple one to begin with. There is already a basic one within Eclipse. Céline proposes one, is there one on Collaborative modeling, Philip?

-        The save action could format the code and do the basic cleaning (import cleaning, etc.)

I like very much the idea of pre-commit hooks, because usually the only respected rules are the one that are enforced ;) but I don’t know here how it does fit well with Eclipse, Egit & command line users, etc. I would prefer to avoid manual actions to be performed by developers to setup the environment : Oomph was typically invented to reduce the amount of time needed to start committing on a project while removing manual tasks.

To have a concrete plan:

-        @Céline, can you provide a report on current Papyrus-RT code base with a basic checkstyle configuration or the one you usually use?

-        @Philip, can you propose also a checkstyle configuration file from collaborative modeling?

-        @Céline, can you give an update to all committers on the status of the Sonar analysis job on Papyrus-RT? Is this possible to run this analysis on each gerrit contributions?