Charles Rivet
Senior Product Manager
charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 2016-12-19, at 10:04 , Ernesto Posse <eposse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

+1

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 8:59 AM Ricardo Sanz <Ricardo.Sanz@xxxxxx> wrote:
+1

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 9:50 PM, charles+zeligsoft.com <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,

On November 14, 2016, I sent an email regarding a proposed naming convention for the Papyrus product line’s products.

As of today, I have not received any comment on the proposal nor has any comment being made on the Papyrus IC Product Management Committee’s Discussion wiki page.

As such, I would now like to call for a vote to implement this proposal.

In order for everyone to be well informed on the proposal, I have copied it at the bottom of this email.

Please vote: +1 (approved), 0 (neutral), or -1 (reject).

Because of the end-of-year holidays, I will tabulate the results on January 6, 2017.

Thank you!

Regards,

Charles Rivet
Senior Product Manager

—— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— — —— — —— —

Note: The following requirements only apply to the Papyrus Products and not to the names of Papyrus Platform.

Note: Comments in blue, starting with "{>> “ are note part of the proposal.

Papyrus Naming - Requirements proposal

Papyrus Product Naming

  • Papyrus products shall have both a long and a short name.

Papyrus Product Long Name

    • The Papyrus product long name shall be of the form (in EBNF notation):
      <Papyrus Product Long Name> = Eclipse Papyrus for <long name postfix>
      where long name postfix is a short description of the domain of application (see examples in the list of products, below).
    {>> [Charles Rivet] The “for” indicates and reinforces a purpose for the product. This indicates that this is not a general or generic tool. If you look at the wiki page for this discussion, we use the form “Papyrus <<name>> to indicate more cross-cutting or "additional" components (i.e, “Papyrus Platform”, “Papyrus Core”, and “Papyrus Collaborative Modeling”. This helps differentiate the Papyrus base and its components from the products in the product line. So using the “for” also helps differentiate products from the base and its components. <<}

Papyrus Product Short Name

    • The Papyrus product short name shall be of the form (in EBNF notation):
      <Papyrus Product Short Name> = Eclipse Papyrus - <short name postfix>
      where short name postfix can be an acronym, an abbreviation, or just visual similarities in the letters used in the long name postfix. Although no length requirements are imposed, it should ideally be 2-5 letters long and can not be longer than the long name postfix.
    {>> [Charles Rivet] I do think that we need a limit, else it may no longer be a short name. The short name is there for convenience so that it is easier to type or to use, for example, in the naming of project/product-specific repositories. I’m proposing 2-5 as being the range as there is no point in having a 1 letter string for the short name and 5 is the largest short name in our current product line. I am open to discussions as to what the upper limit should be, although it must be less than the length of the long name! <<}
    • It is mainly important that the some recognizable link exists between the long name postfix and the short name postfix be present and that the latter be recognizable as indicative of the purpose/function of the product (which should be self-evident in the former).

Papyrus Product Names Usage

  • The Papyrus product long name shall be used:
    • For official document titles
    • On first use in all marketing materials, e.g., web sites, posters, and user stories.
  • The Papyrus product short name can be used:
    • In any document after the long name is used at least once.
    • In software, e.g., copyright, module/component names, and folder names.
    • Basically anywhere other than where the long name is required.

long name is used at least once.
• In software, e.g., copyright, module/component names, and folder names.
• Basically anywhere other than where the long name is required.

—— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— — —— — —— —

Ricardo Sanz
Departamento de Automatica
UNIVERSIDAD POLITECNICA DE MADRID
José Gutiérrez Abascal, 2 | 28006 Madrid
TEL +34 91 336 3061 | FAX +34 91 336 3010

ricardo.sanz@xxxxxx

Researcher at the UPM Autonomous Systems Laboratory

Researcher at the UPM-CSIC Center for Automation and Robotics

www.aslab.upm.es       www.rsanz.com       www.car.upm-csic.es

This communication may contain confidential information, please be careful. Thanks !!!
Ernesto Posse
Zeligsoft