Re: [osgi-technology-dev] EventAdmin

Dear BJ,

Thanks,

James

On 3/27/23 17:42, BJ Hargrave wrote:

As Tom pointed out, the permission classes are case-insensitive when parsing action strings. https://github.com/osgi/osgi/blob/d38340f72c4770b601d6b7fe04dd60954c636735/org.osgi.service.event/src/org/osgi/service/event/TopicPermission.java#L185-L207

The lowercase action strings are the canonical names but any case is accepted as this is the general convention for Java permission action strings.

--

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM // office: +1 386 848 1781
OSGi Fellow and OSGi Specification Project lead // mobile: +1 386 848 3788
hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx

From: osgi-technology-dev <osgi-technology-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Dr. James J. Hunt <jjh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, March 27, 2023 at 11:30
To: osgi-technology-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx <osgi-technology-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [osgi-technology-dev] EventAdmin

Dear BJ, I missed the definition of SUBSCRIBE. If find it a tad misleading to use uppercase for strings that should be lowercase, but that is neither here nor there. Does that mean that only lowercase "subscribe" but not "SUBSCRIBE"

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart

This Message Is From an Untrusted Sender

You have not previously corresponded with this sender.

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

Dear BJ,

I missed the definition of SUBSCRIBE.  If find it a tad misleading to use uppercase for strings that should be lowercase, but that is neither here nor there.

Does that mean that only lowercase "subscribe" but not "SUBSCRIBE" should be accepted, or are these string in fact case independent?

Sincerely,

James

Lowercase “subscribe” is correct. The spec text should be a hyperlink to https://docs.osgi.org/specification/osgi.cmpn/8.1.0/service.event.html#org.osgi.service.event.TopicPermission.SUBSCRIBE. I think in many of the specs, the style has been to use uppercase names in the spec text to make it stand out from the surrounding text as well as to reference the constant names in the permission classes.