[os-gov-dev] Use Cases

I wanted to start an email thread where we can talk about various Use Cases as the Research Phase of our Best Practices.

I also added one in the Chat room as well.

https://chat.eclipse.org/#/room/#os-gov:matrix.eclipse.org

There is the Mozilla Archetypes as a starting point.  But I believe there are others!

https://blog.mozilla.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/MZOTS_OS_Archetypes_report_ext_scr.pdf

Some of the ones they listed:
  • B2B OSS
  • Multi-vendor Infrastructure
  • Rocket Ship to Mars
  • Controlled Ecosystem
  • Wide Open
  • Mass market
  • Specialty Library
  • Trusted Vendor
  • Upstream Dependency
  • Bathwater - too encompassing for me...

Others I have heard mention of:
  • BDFL Benevolent Dictator for Life
  • TarBall over the wall
  • Bait and Switch - sometimes a marketing ploy sometimes a reaction to abuse
  • Purposeful Abandonware - only looking for the PR
  • By Dev for Dev tools
  • Open Source Replacement (proprietary one is too closed so they re-invent an OSS version)
Any others?

Back to the top