Re: [orbit-dev] Extending the Orbit Scope

On 3. May 2017, at 13:36, Erwin DL <erwindl0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I’ve asked advice to Eclipse EMO about how to handle this : either try to get things in Orbit as a whole, or host the minimal source changes in our Eclipse Triquetrum repository…
(and then still try to use Orbit as redistribution facility?)

FWIW, I've already done this in the past and we have a blueprint for this at Orbit.

Basically, the bundle needs to be renamed into the "org.eclipse.orbit.<shortform>" form and then you can add an activator and/or other small code to make it a better OSGi citizen. It's a stretch of the original scope but it is about OSGi-ifying 3rd party libraries. Sometimes 3rdparty libraries simple won't work without it.

The case I mentioned is IMHO a bigger stretch. That's why I think we should extend the scope. Technically, I'm not patching a library to make it work inside an OSGi environment. I'm extending it to integrate it with the Eclipse platform. Placing this in some other project seems wrong (IMHO).

-Gunnar

Back to the top