[open-regulatory-compliance] Agenda request: Consideration of DOU

Hi folks,

Please add an agenda item to Thursday's meeting to discuss using a Document of Understanding (DOU) rather than Foundation membership for code-hosting non-profits that wish to participate in the CRA standards-setting process.

We understand entirely the fiduciary accountabilities associated with running and governing the Open Regulatory Compliance Working Group. We support the appropriate board, governance, and steering committees to ensure that the fees paid by members are used judiciously. This must continue to occur, irrespective of the approach taken by code-hosting non-profits.

Our interest, and the interest of several other code-hosting non-profits, is to ensure we can collaborate with minimal overhead, bound to the CRA only. The current proposal for Foundation Membership incurs a significant bureaucratic burden of Compliance Working Group membership, plus Eclipse membership, which is unnecessary and will stifle participation from Foundations with limited resources.

In addition, the current membership agreement is broadly constructed. We're only interested in setting up a method for collaborating on CRA. Future legislation can be considered in the future.

The overhead associated with Foundation membership has no upside for code-hosting non-profits whose only interest is setting technical standards.

As such, we'd like to allocate appropriate time on Thursday to discuss implementing a DOU in lieu of Foundation membership of code-hosting non-profits with this group.

--
Omkhar Arasaratnam
General Manager

Back to the top