Re: [open-regulatory-compliance] Changing the name of “Steward” member class to “Foundation” member

Hi Gaël,

Thanks for the meeting yesterday and the offer to investigate whether CiviCRM could be given a donation in the value of a membership in the Eclipse Foundation so that CiviCRM could become a member. Josh Gowans, Project Manager of CiviCRM, has indicated that he is comfortable with this approach so long it would not preclude CiviCRM from joining a different open source foundation as a project. The project's donation page is accessible from https://civicrm.org/support-us . This arrangement is to facilitate CiviCRM's participation in the Open Regulatory Compliance Working Group in its initial working on compliance with the CRA.

We were happy to see in this email from you that 'We think changing the name to be clearer in its intent that code-hosting open source software foundations, or simply “Foundation” for short, will avoid this confusion both initially and longer term. ' This seemed to suggest that CiviCRM as a code-hosting open source organization would qualify under this new terminology. So we were disappointed to still see the problematic language excluding us in proposed Charter: "Foundation Members are organisations that are recognised not-for-profits in their country of registration and host open source software projects made available under an OSI-approved licence(s)" (p. 4 of  Draft INTERNAL Open Regulatory Compliance Working Group Charter).

Could you clarify what type of membership you envision for CiviCRM regarding our participation in the Open Regulatory Compliance Working Group?

On a minor copy-editing point, I think the intent of the Simple Majority section's first sentence (p. 9) is best written as 'Excepting the actions specified below...' rather than 'Accepting the actions specified below...'.

Joe Murray, PhD (he/him)
President, JMA Consulting
416.466.1281

We respectfully acknowledge the autonomy of Indigenous peoples, and that JMA Consulting is located on the traditional territory of many nations including the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishnabeg, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee and the Wendat peoples which is now home to many diverse First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples. We also acknowledge that Toronto is covered by Treaty 13 with the Mississaugas of the Credit.