Re: [omr-dev] MethodBuilder call to ResolvedMethod

The jitbuilder and test compiler projects' implementation of ResolvedMethod provides that constructor. I assume your concern is primarily with the last argument?

> My impression so far is that IlType and IlInjector are JitBuilder
components - is that right?

IlInjector is not part of JitBuilder, although the implementation for IlBuilder is a subclass of IlInjector. But the API for IlInjector is not considered part of the "client" API for JitBuilder.

IlInjector was introduced for the test compiler as a set of utilities to make it easier to create the OMR compiler IL, since OMR is meant to be language agnostic and constructing IL can be tedious. IlInjector was an attempt to simplify some of the tasks. It was, in fact, a precursor to IlBuilder, which removes all the dependences on knowledge of the underlying IL and has turned out to be a more useful design point, although I still see IlInjector as potentially a strategic path for projects to graduate from generic JitBuilder based IL to creating a more precise IL representation. There has not been much effort in the IlInjector class since the JitBuilder project was created.

> But ResolvedMethod is more generic interface that may not be using JitBuilder?

ResolvedMethod is a fundamental class of the OMR compiler, representing a method that has a concrete implementation (as opposed to "just" having a name). It is typically extended by a consuming project to add language/runtime specific details (like the IlInjector pointer added by jitbuilder).

Mark Stoodley 8200 Warden Avenue
Senior Software Developer Markham, L6G 1C7
IBM Runtime Technologies Canada
Phone:+1-905-413-5831
e-mail:mstoodle@xxxxxxxxxx

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein