Re: [milo-dev] Detecting connection loss

It's not really an OS question... it's built into the specification for
TCP/IP -- the time-wait state that cuts off a broken connection can
persist for up to four minutes in older products following the original
RFC.  IIRC, the latest RFCs for TCP/IP shorten it to 90 seconds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol

On 05/02/2018 09:37 AM, Mads Stavang wrote:
> Thanks for your prompt reply Kevin. Yes, the detection of cable pulling
> (or loose contact, defective cable, power outtake of device etc.) is the
> issue which causes the most problems on our TCP/IP connections, because
> they are the hardest to detect. I will do the periodic requests as
> suggested.
>
> On 2 May 2018 at 14:04, Kevin Herron <kevinherron@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:kevinherron@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Mads,
>
>     Unfortunately, the way TCP Keep-Alive works (or doesn't work...)
>     means that pulling the ethernet cable anywhere in the route between
>     client and server is often a pathological worst case. You're
>     essentially at the mercy of the OS to decide the connection has been
>     lost and report it.

Back to the top