Re: [milo-dev] Suggesting a GSoC project

I am very glad if the number of options including license method increases.

Although my circumstances may not be helpful, I use commercial tools and
my applications developed using Milo as follows.

1) Easily and graphically grasp the change of the value of the whole AddressSpace
  of the OPC-UA server (including the PLCs <-> OPC-UA gateway) and the value of
  the specified variable node.
  -> toem Eclipse Impulse plug-in

2) Performance evaluation of continuous running of OPC-UA server
  -> My client developed using Milo and UaExpert

  Performance evaluation over a long time is carried out using the log for
  each item including sourceTimestamp. The reasons for using our client and
  UaExpert are as follows.
  - By running these clients on different machines and connecting to the same
    server to be evaluated, it is possible to evaluate by deducting the client's
    unique performance characteristics, if any.
  - Sharing the recognition of performance characteristics with the OPC-UA
    commercial product vendor based on the log (including sourceTimestamp)
    output by the commonly available client tool UaExpert.

3) Performance evaluation of continuous running of OPC-UA Client
  -> My simulation server developed using Milo

Even commercial products, I think that whether performance characteristics
at continuous running are stable or not can not be known without actually
evaluating it. (from our experience)

Here, with regard to clients and servers of other companies' commercial products
adopted,

a) Performance characteristics during continuous running of PLCs <-> OPC-UA gateway
  are unstable (as a result of continuous running for several days, found out)

b) Inadequacy in specification that part of Subscription parameter is not reflected
  in OPC-UA client function

For these issues, using Milo we developed a client for verification for a) and
a server for verification for b), respectively, and examined countermeasures.
Of course, for both a) and b), we contacted the vendor of each product and
asked for correction.

Based on the above, for us, the use of the client tool is mainly used as
a means of evaluating the server at the time of data collection. I think
it would be very useful if such a tool had the ability to output the following
simple statistical information to the log based on sourceTimestamp.

f.1) Number of data collection per unit time (for example 1 minute)

f.2) Variation of sampling interval

It is very useful to summarize these temporal changes.

For the logs of my clients and UaExpert, I can write scripts and process them,
so the above function is not necessary. I said it from the viewpoint of
a common tool for sharing recognition at continuous running verification,
but please do not mind.