Re: [microprofile-wg] [BALLOT][PLAN REVIEW] MicroProfile Config 3.1 - Voting ends on June 11th

-1 (iJUG)

Why:

This is a very tricky decision for me, where I am unsure to vote between 0 and -1. I decided for -1 only, because it violates Semantic Versioning, but with a version 3.1 based on MP Parent 3.1+ it tries to fix an issue (MP Config 3.0.2 for MP 6.0 was based on Jakarta EE 9.1, as MP Config 3.0.3 too), that should have been fixed for the last release - with a Major Release of the spec...

The Release Plan notes the following, that sounds for me like a Patch Release only:

The goal of this release is to improve the TCKs so that they can work well with CDI Lite.

* Improve TCKs to enable they work well with CDI Lite
* Some minor spec clarification

The version that was part of the MP 6.0 release should work well with CDI Lite already.
Minor spec clarifications sounds for me fixing something - not enhancing or breaking it.

When I look at recent commits, some dependencies got a Minor Release update - so fixing it with a Minor Release sounds reasonable. But when only non-public APIs are updated (internal dependencies), this could have been done with a Patch Release.

But updating to MP Parent 3.1 is a (necessary) breaking change for me - only coming too late. So this is handled as a fix now?
I really appreciate this fix in general!
But on my opinion this is an example on violating semver results in violating semver...
Which brings me to: Why we do not simply agree on being compliant to semver?

I hope we can fix this in the future.

Thanks & Best,
Jan

PS: Another question would be, how we will fix this for a MP 6.0.1 Patch Release? Add MP Config 3.1 for it or create a MP Config 3.0.4, with will be based on MP Parent 3.x?
Hello dependency hell...