[microprofile-dev] Postponed adoption of Jakarta EE 8 dependencies

Dear MicroProfile community,

As you may know, MicroProfile is partially based on Java EE 8 specifications, borrowing the CDI, JSON-P, JSON-B and JAX-RS specifications. Since early September 2019, Java EE has been superseded by Jakarta EE 8. This is essentially the Java EE 8 framework migrated to the Eclipse Foundation, maintaining byte-level compatibility with Java EE 8.

Therefore, in the past several bi-weekly MP Community Hangout calls, plans have been discussed to adopt the Jakarta EE 8 specifications into MicroProfile. This means that we are replacing the Java EE 8 specifications with their byte-level compatible Jakarta EE 8 counterparts. This adoption should become part of the MicroProfile 3.3 release in February 2020.

However, discussions have been going on in the meantime, where we found out that this adoption has more impact than we initially anticipated. Therefore, adopting the Jakarta EE 8 specifications will not become part of the MicroProfile 3.3 release, but postponed to the MicroProfile 4.0 release in June 2020.

In the meantime, we will continue to discuss and work out the exact details to what has to be done in order to properly adopt the Jakarta EE specifications in MicroProfile 4.0.

If you would like to know more about this:
- please join the bi-weekly MP Community Hangout calls and/or
- read the notes from these here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16v3jVkcDzVz9BVU5aGEzPVbK-a8BIx7S1gbqToVUaLs/edit#heading=h.11g7t3tdq542 and/or
- read the (associated) threads on the MicroProfile Google Groups

Kind regards,

Edwin Derks

Back to the top