Re: [technology-pmc] jts epl 2.0 question

Do we have to do anything special to opt in to GPL compatibility? Or is it included by default in EPL 2.0

--
Jody Garnett

On 3 October 2017 at 07:13, Thea Aldrich <thea.aldrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jody,
This is a great question and thankfully we have a simple answer. I am going to cross post to the main list because this information will be useful to all.

You are correct. From what I can see the a switch to EPL or EDL v2 allows explicit compatibility with GPL and LGPL. The good news for the JTS project is that you can simply opt to release under EPL/EDL 2.0 out of the gate. Below are the instructions for how to make that change. HTH
Thea

My project uses the EPL-1.0. How can we switch to use EPL-2.0?

The Eclipse Public License allows new versions of the license to be adopted by projects with little work. Specifically, the license states that:

“Each new version of the Agreement will be given a distinguishing version number. The Program (including Contributions) may always be distributed subject to the version of the Agreement under which it was received. In addition, after a new version of the Agreement is published, Contributor may elect to distribute the Program (including its Contributions) under the new version.”

So a project can use the new version by simply updating the file headers and notices. Note that it would be good community practice to discuss this change on your public mailing lists, and to make every attempt to ensure that downstream users are aware of the change.