Re: [technology-pmc] LocationTech-Labs GitHub orginization

This certainly seems like a fine idea to me.

(I thought I sent this a couple days ago; oops)

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:28 AM Rob Emanuele <rdemanuele@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey PMC,

I'm proposing this idea: creating a GitHub organization called "LocationTech-Labs", or some similar name, which could house repositories for projects that are not quite LocationTech-proposal-ready, but are being hacked on by cross-organization locationtech committers. These projects would follow the IP Due Diligence in the hopes that the projects would get to a point that a proposal and incubation makes sense.

This arises from the fact that the GeoTrellis team and the GeoMesa team are combining forces for hacking out python bindings for our frameworks. It's both a feature we are currently working on for our separate projects, and we figured it would be best, and most in the spirit of LocationTech's mission of collaboration, to work on them together. We have some code from each side that we want to put into a single place. There's other places we could host it (e.g. the GeoTrellis GitHub organization); however the idea  is that these python bindings would eventually be a separate collaborative incubating LocationTech project, and it would be great to start in a repository that isn't "owned" by any one of the contributors and is LocationTech branded.

If this is a good idea, and if it's ok to call the thing "LocationTech-Labs" or something similar what has LocationTech in the name, I'd like to create one today. I would give admin rights to eclipsewebmaster, and invite PMC members (who's github handles I know) onto a team that has write access and the ability to create new repositories.

/ccing Wayne and Paul, who specifically I would like to weigh in on the idea of creating an org with "LocationTech" in the name, and if that's copacetic for a PMC member to do.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Rob