Re: [linuxtools-dev] autotools plug-in extensibility

Hi Corey,

You are correct in that you cannot add new options to the Configuration Settings pages except via code. The AutotoolsConfiguration has the set of options and the Configuration Settings pages are created based on them. This was done to make the code easily extendible if we wanted to add some missing options that were common enough.

I'm not sure why you don't want to use the existing mechanisms for specifying options that are not in any of the configuration setting pages.

The user field is a free form way to add any configuration options you want. For example, this is where you would add --with-xxxxx and --enable-yyyy options which are not provided elsewhere in any of the options pages.

You can also modify the configure command itself and there you can add environment variable settings.

The options themselves are stored in xml format in the .autotools file that is stored with the project. This includes the configure command itself. When an autotools project is loaded, the .autotools file is read in and this is used to fill in the fields of the Configuration Settings.

Does this help?

-- Jeff J.