Re: [linux-distros-dev] customize gtk theme makes eclipse 100% more usable

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Sebastian Gurin
<sgurin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Pantelis,
>
> my opinion about your point is:
>
> 1) it is not intuitive, for a common user, that gtk theme is responsible of defining this properties (most users will first go to eclipse's window->preference->appearence and try to futilesness configure from there)

Agreed, but are programmers "common users"? OTOH eclipse is of course
used for many more things than an IDE so you are certainly right.

> 2) in a normal gnome environment (ubuntu's and opensuse's, for ex) ALL of the themes installed (clearlox, crux, glider, synchronicity, default, highcontrast, etc) waste vertical space in eclispe tree views (imho the principal annoying thing of eclipse linux) My self didn't know till now that there exists a theme gtk-qt that fix this. (but, think about it, why should I know that?)

For what is worth, it is KDE users that use gtk-qt.

If all the normal gtk themes are broken, is this a problem only for
eclipse or for other apps too? If there is at least one more app with
problems then it might be a better choice
to fix at least one gnome gtk theme imho (preferably all / the most common).

> 3) it seems that t eclipse is doing nothing to improve eclipse+linux user experience in this way....
>
> I think eclipse shoud define an appropiate theme customization and at least give the user the oportunity to use it. Believe me that several unexpierienced-in-gnome users will appreciate something like that!

That would be nice. Perhaps there can be a "gtk theme configuration
plugin" for eclipse developed here in linux-distros.
(This might mean though it will only be in e.g., Fedora and Gentoo and
not in the official tarballs)
Or eclipse could be more explicit in telling users that it is Gtk they
should be looking at, if they have theme problems.

Cheers,
Pantelis

Back to the top