Re: [linux-distros-dev] Problem with latest libhover

Hi,

* Jeff Johnston <jjohnstn@xxxxxxxxxx> [2009-02-09 17:41]:
> The linux-distros build has recently run into a build problem because I
> just checked in the code and this interface is not in the older CDT zip
> being used.

Yeah, we're using the CDT's 5.0.0 release for those not aware.

> I am not sure what to do.  I can bring in the class into LibHover, but it
> has an internal cdt reference.

While this would work, I'm not a fan of it due to it just postponing
when we have to deal with this issue.

> I can also simply comment out the code for the time-being.

Realizing we're not going to have a 1.0 release before June, we could
bite the bullet and make our trunk builds happen against CDT nightly
builds (towards their 6.0 release).  Or we could set up builds against
*both* the 5.0.2 release and 6.x nightlies.  This would involve us
branching for CDT 6 -- for projects that are tightly coupled to the CDT
-- and maintaining two branches.  I actually think this is the best plan
but it will mean more work and some functionality differences between
the different branches.  This will affect our adopter community (read:
Linux distributions shipping our stuff) but will force us to find and
fix any issues with CDT 6 (and maybe even in the Eclipse platform and
our other dependencies like BIRT) sooner rather than later.

It won't take me too long to set up a second cron job to do builds
against 3.5 M5 + CDT 6.x nightlies + the latest BIRT milestone.  But I
don't want to commit if the rest of the developers don't feel like it's
a good idea.

Anyone else want to weigh in here?

Andrew

Back to the top