[kura-dev] Kura and OSGi

Hey kura-devs,

first, let me express my admiration for the maturity of Kura and thank you for all your efforts in the last years!

We are currently drawn into the IoT (or Industrial IoT) world and are looking for a good Edge Plattform (with or without connection to any “cloud” or on-prem backend).

From my perspective and some research Kura fits in very well in many points.

But there is one major drawback for us… we did never do something with OSGi and I’m really unsure if we can adopt the technology and if we are able to support development with our processes and toolchains (e.g. we are using IntelliJ).

So I have two major questions, first, if you have any feeling on how much knowledge about OSGi is necessary to be able to run and support Kura and if it is possible to support the further development of Kura without going too deep into OSGi.

And second, I’m asking myself if there is (or could be) any way to provide some kind of “fat” or executable non-OSGi version of Kura based on the same code.

I know that both questions are rather general with regards to most Eclipse Projects as many of them are OSGi based but I decided to ask the question on this project directly as we would really like to play around with Kura some more.

Thank you already!

Julian

Back to the top