Re: [kapua-dev] [Design Note] Kapua Directory Layout

Hi Jens,
    comments inline below.

On Aug 21, 2017, at 9:25 AM, Jens Reimann <jreimann@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Marco,

thanks for migrating this to the google document. I guess for some high level topics the mailing list still is better.

1) I am not really convinced that the current layout is that flawed to justify a full re-structuring, restructuring effectively means loosing the history on GitHub.

My understanding is that as long as we move the files with no rename, git history can be preserved.

2) I couldn't find any explanation of my previous point #2 in the introduction, maybe you I overlooked it and you can point me towards it. Because from what I understood the grouping will be based on the deployment bundles (microservices) and that may change in the future.

Here is the paragraph on this topic in the document:
• The current Kapua architecture has 8 service modules identified. The proposal is to start with those directories. If more service modules are added in the future or existing service modules are further decomposed, new directories will be added. For the Kapua 1.0 release, the output of the projects under this directory is service jar files that are packaged into the distribution of the Kapua apps. For future Kapua releases, the output of the projects under this directory can evolve to a Docker image for the micro-service associated with the service module.

3) Looking at "Service Directory Proposed Layout" and "Example Service Directory Proposed Layout" it looks to me as if the proposed layout doesn't really work. At least in the example there are more exceptions than standard cases.

I saw your comments on the auth service.
In general, each directory under services is a service module.
A service module is the bounded context of the microservice so it can have more service endpoints if necessary.

I would suggest to do a full breakdown (mapping table), from old to new, so that we can understand what the proposal actually is. Because right now I don't see how modules (like broker-core, dev-tools, sso, transport, …) would be match the proposed ruleset. I guess actually doing this in a spreadsheet might clear up a few questions.

The bullet list in the document is an attempt for the new map; broker-core is under apps, dev-tools under util, transport under libraries.
I misses sso which should be under libraries if used by multiple services.

I reformat it into a spreadsheet as suggested.

Thanks
-Marco

Cheers

Jens