[kanto-dev] Eclipse Kanto - Potential Incorporation of Cummins Cosmos
  • From: Carlton Bale <carlton.bale@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 20:23:26 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=cummins.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=cummins.com; dkim=pass header.d=cummins.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=qqAu+mpeyyoeH77Usj6CSePfsjeqTcoD2Qx+qnTm+cA=; b=I5KcCM7P/nvR8xGwnp34XNtQxQS0rKNKmUxSMOWRr3v6ABtavPfKFCusdRVomQETB4FypUygWSHAaZv87DtdgcmPsh7ke4XIYqqj2fJPeRbLND3mCr1n7idLBAvxjdTjEG5jwEmYYYe11vprag8ouhpOTjmG+BOhBSf1i9PAZoopUrzFXdAo88TD72ZF41wNrKUzXOnTIxHH4nXWS3Iu1EFPTn1ylAhSlUxgRx7WijGuXPLtfGMefPwqDert90I9SDPiZe+BXonrTvW70SbXehOEiE+iOaaefe6aA55mSCvRYhyETyYR+8HPddQNd+WOz/81TbWeAH6TGI1KUv5Dmg==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=UzuEHBI0HLBCuPADn6ZISqztKQgXKjAeKha5MKxG70aJ8fQpsCw4QM6o0B9Vtxwjes9ohjIsP3BwYcIWdg66uIaKKxc/3oJLV9lLuNq590+5lft7aFSdMN5m62xRcsBjAS2noaZNaRILz2UI7OF/oLSVDypeCbH8UgkH2a6vND1k03Tqf/ws1iEOjWS6max3hrmubY7gfjSh1zgC9tv6jaGfULPAG8G7OK0AlbK/6JyayG0JbCAI028uU9tDwJZacRdcbW4x8UZadwZ2PfUFGugtBYDD+NY1C8+z21TeqjPitM2HD9jbXkVqJ4GSHbuk1R/nM11B9F95hzFa+BSM+A==
  • X_proofpointscan: true

Hello Eclipse Kanto Developer Community,

I'm resending this message to a broader group as my previous e-mail was sent directly to a much smaller group of project participants.

I’m reaching out to start a discussion about our (Cummins inc.)  planned contribution to Eclipse SDV. We’ve been talking to our Commercial Vehicle OEM partners about this concept for almost 2 years, so we have a good idea of what we want to contribute, which is detailed below with the placeholder name of "Cosmos". We now need to determine how to make this contribution. We are wondering if it should be a separate project within SDV or if it would be better if attached to an existing project. After reading through the documentation of numerous Eclipse projects, we think Eclipse Kanto is the closest technical match, but we want to make sure it makes sense to expand the scope of Kanto to include these new “Cosmos” capabilities.

Here’s a draft summary of our planned contribution, which for now we are calling “Cosmos”. Please review and let me know your thoughts. We are on the agenda to present this contribution in more detail at the next SDV Technical Alignment meeting on Tuesday, June 27th, 2023.

Thank you!

Overview: Eclipse “Cosmos”

The Eclipse "Cosmos" project is focused on standardizing and securing the interface between software running inside containers and the base capabilities of the telematics device. These base capabilities include communications between containers, from containers to the vehicle CAN bus, and from containers to the cloud. The initial focus is OCI-compliant containers, but is extensible to other containerization methodologies.

Cosmos defines the simplified API for communicating with the vehicle datalink by separating the CAN communications libraries into the host layer. With this model, the communications libraries for protocols such as Public SAE J1939, Private SAE J1939, and UDS (Unified Diagnostics Services) do not need to be included in each individual container but rather a host-provided solution. Cosmos also defines the certificate-based security model that ensures each container has access to only the datalink protocols and CAN addresses for which it is authorized.

Cosmos unifies container interfaces for local, cloud, and CAN communications into a single API, greatly simplifying IoT software development and validation. The initial release format utilizes MQTT messaging but is extensible to other solutions.

Image.png

--
Best Regards,

Carlton Bale

Director – Digital Strategy and Product Planning

Cummins Digital Organization

Back to the top