[jts-dev] Eclipse Release process and status

Hi all,

This past week, we have completed some important steps in the Eclipse/LocationTech incubation process. The Eclipse foundation helps projects with legal concerns by reviewing project code, reviewing dependencies, and establishing processes for running a project (such as accepting contributions and managing releases).

For the first release at LocationTech/Eclipse, a project's existing codebase must be reviewed and understood. As part of joining LocationTech, JTS relicensed to the EDL/EPL. The legal review of the 'initial contribution' addressed both of these concerns together, and that process finished this week.

In order to accept contributions, Eclipse requires contributors to sign an agreement. These and others requirements go into the 'day-to-day' running of a project. At release time, a log of contributions is created and reviewed; that review has also completed.

There are two final steps to get Eclipse's blessing for JTS's upcoming 1.15.0 release. First, we need fill out the release template here (https://www.locationtech.org/projects/technology.jts/releases/1.15/) and receive PMC approval. Second, we'll need the Eclipse staff to do a release review either on November 1st or November 15th.

With those two steps completed, the JTS team would be able to release.

Going forward, releases will be *much* easier. Bug fix versions will be enitrely at the discretion of the JTS team; that is, JTS 1.15.1 can be cut 10 minutes after 1.15.0 without requiring any review or fuss. Minor and major versions will require an Eclipse release review (which happens twice a month), so some planning will be required. Those release reviews are generally painless events for projects that follow the rules.

Cheers,

Jim

Back to the top