Re: [jsp-dev] What is jakarta.servlet.jsp.resources?

Thanks, Mark.  IBM Notes is notorious at making these type of "internet style" notes unreadable, but I will try my best...  :-)

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> u=https-3A__github.com_eclipse_transformer_pull_52-23discussion-5Fr440933519&d=DwIF-
> g&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> siA1ZOg&r=R9dtOS3afYnRUmu_zogmh0VnVYl2tse_V7QBUA9yr_4&m=MeMg0Vj4tzNuyPAjRpzvqBifomI7YYzmoPi60D99jTo&s=xQkBlvLEI1sfwDHxlI7MuTeksynzMN_f68qtBe_jEzA&e=
> >
> > Is this a valid package for JSP?
>
> Historically, yes. It is present in the JSP 2.0 JAR file:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> u=https-3A__repo1.maven.org_maven2_javax_servlet_jsp_jsp-2Dapi_2.
> 0_jsp-2Dapi-2D2.0.jar&d=DwIF-g&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> siA1ZOg&r=R9dtOS3afYnRUmu_zogmh0VnVYl2tse_V7QBUA9yr_4&m=MeMg0Vj4tzNuyPAjRpzvqBifomI7YYzmoPi60D99jTo&s=yvAtLsqLf5ohLd_V1AJ4SRnydB3p-
> ecjTpUgTdQZqO4&e=
>
> where it contains:
> jsp_2_.xsd
> jspxml.dtd
> jspxml.xsd
> web-jsptaglibrary_1_1.dtd
> web-jsptaglibrary_1_2.dtd
> web-jsptaglibrary_2_0.xsd
>
> The same files are present in 2.1

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> u=https-3A__repo1.maven.org_maven2_javax_servlet_jsp_jsp-2Dapi_2.
> 1_jsp-2Dapi-2D2.1.jar&d=DwIF-g&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> siA1ZOg&r=R9dtOS3afYnRUmu_zogmh0VnVYl2tse_V7QBUA9yr_4&m=MeMg0Vj4tzNuyPAjRpzvqBifomI7YYzmoPi60D99jTo&s=f4SuOYjF24DB3NcDn6gD-
> JT3KK9N-DuPmwSiH5MjsKc&e=
>
> The appear to have been removed in 2.1.1 onwards.

Right.  This is what we (IBM) found as well.  We have them in our 2.2 and prior bundles, but they were removed in 2.3 and now in 3.0.

> >  Or, is this an implementation-specific package?
>
> No.
>
> >  Although we're not supposed to be adding to the defined APIs
> > for Java EE or Jakarta EE...  Just trying to figure out the answer.  Thanks!
>
> If I had to guess, I say most of those files were legitimately moved to
> the Servlet API JAR because, without them, Servlet implementations are
> unable to correctly validate XML schema that reference them.
>
> However, I'd expect the following files to still be present in that package:
>
> jspxml.dtd
> jspxml.xsd
>
> I don't know where they were moved to. In fact, I asked about those very
> files a few hours ago as I'd like to update the JSP spec document to
> reference a Jakarta version of jspxml.xsd (https://
> urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> u=http-3A__java.sun.com_JSP_Page&d=DwIF-g&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> siA1ZOg&r=R9dtOS3afYnRUmu_zogmh0VnVYl2tse_V7QBUA9yr_4&m=MeMg0Vj4tzNuyPAjRpzvqBifomI7YYzmoPi60D99jTo&s=-4H3QRAd23GgrstRS6CDcHXiuulDDTFNKOX-
> toqvHzg&e= )

Are these dtd/xsd files still required for JSP 2.3 and beyond?  Or, are the XML files validated using some alternative schema?
The Jakarta EE 9 schemas are defined here:  https://jakarta.ee/xml/ns/jakartaee/
The Java EE 8/Jakarta EE 8 schemas are defined here:  http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/jsc/xml/ns/javaee/index.html#8

These two files (jspxml.dtd and jspxml.xsd) are not defined in either location.  And, since we have stated that Jakarta EE 9 only
needs to support Jakarta EE 9 and Jakarta EE 8 schemas, are these other two schemas still required?  Or, did we misss something with
the Java EE 8/Jakarta EE 8 definitions?

> Finally, Tomcat has the package in question and those files as a result
> of the time it was the reference implementation for JSP. While the
> Tomcat project moved the schemas to Servlet that Servlet needed, it left
> jspxml.dtd and jspxml.xsd in place.

Okay, so that would explain why the Tomitribe team is attempting to update the Transformer rules to include that package.
Technically, I guess it doesn't hurt to include it in the Transformer rules.  But, it did cause confusion for me since I got
pinged that our Jakarta EE 9 API jar file (and your JSP 3.0 API jar file) had an error because we didn't include this
jakarta.servlet.jsp.resources package...

It's sounding like this jakarta.servlet.jsp.resources package should not be defined with the official rule set for the Transformer
project.  And, if a given implementation (Tomcat, Jetty, Open Liberty, etc) does require this package to be converted, then it
should be part of the implementation's rule set.

-- Kevin