Re: [jpa-dev] [External] : Eclipselink and Query.getResultStream()
  • From: Oliver Drotbohm <odrotbohm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 11:39:32 +0000
  • Accept-language: de-DE, en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=vmware.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=vmware.com; dkim=pass header.d=vmware.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=b5tgU4qheTKz3NWI7Q+TIxsbvJyamQDp/vm072xjjMw=; b=U0Yujh3Z0jDWn96luTAoM8pcADF8avtooBy17KEN/co3EOt+IeyEvYzhWFGQ45FhHxU1oPDvX+uNi5Kp0FtSFmCwzRkPvqS0zGzkPD8OAtVp7g/owsXkvuaZxVj6ygnX82K34Z0lpLTPy263GTYV8zT2DtQWgK5i1OiEtAA0okZnHdkLBkxB1m0az1hUISbwqelFk4e2saLLd6VbtxlpxBn4VaXVt4Gm1FBsHhMaKPCHp49OJvJjk91/ctZipkkgXADQVymqRFTKo2xmJhqUDME0UjMQk3mqF+0eLi4vIFjA2SsP7Go89O/YXJu50qU90BQXxnBUgQCaRF7dIQ4mmg==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=kOfFYDVrxVEQdbcXxg6oJBnRwSbf20VECDOffGT543e1/qRB9FXyLGUdENJgMs329ORd0EDV3GThQSCO8Q033gO0uqzu2vN6bt3ujQcESjoYHJ004urB+mUOEc4cMHwEYzBmELBMFKoQHEBkoH7bVDsWNiH8wFPUnV/CO/RPp3SkWTjMziC/GQ+dNRaPAiRYizMHr1EuQtKxlOLtkfWMF36oSs1vITqVKJFWPiAHhaQPq08qBFpH1aSIsOd0Cw9tMWXBD+q5iov6X8lFjaBil4HjtLM6xwMe+gJCq8Z44X/KVIhUBXPxLicoyaKLF+uYBsCTWIjhGGUAsUiecoOyKw==

Hi,

> On 13. Sep 2022, at 12:59, Lukas Jungmann <lukas.jungmann@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Jakarta has no notion of "the reference implementation" in the first
> place, it uses the term "compatible implementation". What is the
> difference apart from different TCK license? Ie per JCP process, in case
> of the ambiguity in the spec the reference implementation was always
> right and others had to accept that as long as TCKs were passing. With
> the Compatible implementation, the implementation either passes TCKs and
> is compatible or does not pass TCK and is not compatible.
>
> To stress the point: under Jakarta, no single implementation is "more
> right" than others and using the term "reference implementation" within
> the context of Jakarta EE/Jakarta Persistence is wrong.

Thanks for that write up. I am aware. I just used that term because all those formal details don't seem to change the fact that ordinary users still perceive Eclipselink an important implementation and thus are more surprised to find out about issues like the one described.

> This question belongs to eclipselink project specific mailing list, not
> here.

It looks like the reporter that brought this issue up with Spring Data has already filed a ticket with Eclipselink [0]. I brought this issue up here as I still think it's relevant to the perception of the spec. It turns out that this backwards-compatible way of extending existing APIs leads to optionality in the implementation, which - if not clearly communicated - might catch users by surprise, if implementations then opt-out of supporting that feature. That might be something to consider for future changes.

Thanks,
Ollie

[0] https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/eclipselink/issues/1692