Re: [jetty-users] BadMessageException

Don't blindly call request.getParameter() without fully (and I do mean FULLY) understanding the side effects.

A call to request.getParameter() can read the request body content as well. (per Servlet spec).
A call to request.getParameter() can fail for bad input, bad encoding, bad expectations, IO exceptions, etc (it's quite a long list of causes).

BadMessageException can occur early during request parsing (for things related to identifying the context that the request needs to be sent to), or later during request content access once inside of a request dispatch (cookies, parts, parameters, locale, charset, content-type, mime-type, multipart, etc ...)

Since request.getParameter() has no checked exceptions, you are stuck with RuntimeException.

What would I do?
I wouldn't catch all exceptions in my ErrorPageErrorHandler, but only specific ones that I care about presenting to users.
I wouldn't catch (for example) anything in the Throwable or Error categories, only Exception.

Joakim Erdfelt / joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx