Re: [jetty-users] Trusting all client certificates still causes certificates not in trust store to fail (9.0.0.M3)

I'm no expert in this, but I did explore this area about 5 years ago and try similar experiments.

If my memory serves me right I think you will find that:

1) The level you are working at is the SSL protocol negotiation between the Java SSL/TLS socket and the browser. It is below the level at which Jetty is involved,

2) The sever 'advertises' to the client a list of certificate nodes which it will accept,

3) The client finds a client certificate which 'matches' one of those  nodes offered by the server and sends that certificate to the server,

4) The server checks the client certificate and, only then, if all is well, establishes the SSH session.

By 'matches' I mean this:

All certificates have a chain of authorities which have authenticated that certificate.

The Java server has a list of trusted root certificates.

To be accepted, a client certificate has to have been authenticated by one of the authorities listed in the Java security set-up, and that authority must have been specifically named in the SSL hand-shake.

It is possible to use your own private set of client certificates by:

1) Creating your own 'root' certificate,

2) Putting that root certificate into the Java security system's list of trusted roots,

3) Identifying that root in the SSL set-up (using the API provided by j
Jetty),

4) Having that root certificate sign a batch of client certificates,

5) Giving each browser client one of this family of certificates.

To the best of my knowledge it is not possible to just use any 'random' client certificate and have it passed through to your Applet under Jetty for you to do your own authentication.

HTH

Chris Haynes