[jetty-dev] Configuration changes in jetty-10

Jetty dev@eclipse list,

Just a heads up that development of jetty-10 may soon pickup after the servlet 4.0 finalisation in the next few months.

During the meanwhile, I thought I'd give you a heads up on some configuration changes that are moderately significant (but should mostly be transparent to users that use modules).

Firstly what are the problems the changes are trying to solve?  In Jetty<=9, we've had a centralised list of classpath patterns that condition the webapp classpath for server/system classes.  Such a centralised list breaks modularity and is difficult/inflexible to maintain.

Furthermore, the Configuration mechanism used to add features (eg Annotations) to a webapp app is highly order dependent, so in order to modify the default list it either has to be replaced in full or fragile addAfter / addBefore operations used.

So in the jetty-10/master branch we have an update that I believe solves both of these problems by:
With these changes, there is now just a simple base central list of system/server classes, and no fragile manipulation of lists of Configurations.   The Configuration of webapps within a server proceeds as follows:
With these changes, there are now many more Configuration instances as features like JSP now require Configurations to condition the classpath even though they do not have any preconfiguration/configuration methods.     There is also an AbstractConfiguration class available which makes creation of new Configurations easier as it uses terms like expose/hide/protect to refer to classpath patterns rather than the more esoteric system/server classes expressions.

Some good examples of Configurations are:
This mechanism is pre-alpha... ie subject to change, specially after we receive any feedback as a result of this heads up.

Your feedback is most welcome.

cheers