[jdt-ui-dev] Excluding directory from a project

Is it possible to tell the compiler _not_ to compile certain
files/directories in a Java project?

I working with Xerces/Xalan and there are some directories (under the
'src') that need to be excluded during build/compile of the project.
Removing those directories manually would not work, since updating code
from CVS and refreshing the Eclipse project will include deleted
directories back into the project.

I've tried to chage Window/Preferences/Java/Compiler/Other: "filtered
resources" by setting the directory I would like to exclude. But it does
not seem to work: the compiler still tries to compile the directory I
try to exclude. On top of it, it does not let me enter a complete path,
i.e src/dom3/org, only string 'dom3/' could be entered.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto