[jdt-debug-dev] API additions to IVMInstall

Notice to clients providing implementations of IVMInstall:

Three API methods were added to IVMInstall during the 3.1 cycle:
        public String getVMArgs()
        public void setVMArgs(String)
        public String getJavaVersion()

We have always intended implementations of IVMInstall to exist as
subclasses of AbstractVMInstall. The documentation for this has been
somewhat hidden - in the class comment of AbstractVMInstall ("Clients
implementing VM installs should subclass this class."). Implementations of
the three new methods have been provided in AbstractVMInstall (although
clients should provide an implementation of #getJavaVersion() where
possible).

Rather than provide an interface extension such as IVMInstallExtension or
IVMInstall2 to define the new methods, we would like to leave IVMInstall
in its current form, and improve our documentation to specify that clients
must subclass AbstractVMInstall when providing an implementation of
IVMInstall. If there are any objections, please respond on this mailing
list.

Thanks,

Darin Wright

Back to the top