Re: [jdt-core-dev] RE: [dali-dev] Annotation editing in Eclipse

Neil Hauge wrote:
> common issue of configuring annotated metadata in Eclipse.

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to investigate an API for
annotating members on an IJavaElement level. Right now Dali created a
lot of code to cover the AST manipulation behind a model. It's definitly
worthwhile to share this at a lower level.

However, from an UI point of view I feel that one central view for
manipulating annotations would be too generalized. IMHO all that is
needed would be a little more extensibility so that Java members in the
Java editor could provide there own Properties view input.

For example, the Java editor would activate the tabbed properties view.
Now other plug-ins should be able to contribute categories (tabs) to
that view depending on the selected element. This way Dali could provide
their special annotation editors to methods, fields or types if the type
is an entity.

As for the outline view, I'm not very confident that such a view is
needed. For example, the Dali Persistence Outline is pretty much just a
filtering and some different icons for existing Java members. So this
could be also probably solved by contributing dynamic filters to the
Java Outline and probably overlay icons. But then we would end up with
yet another set of overlay icons that a user has to learn and understand.

Cu, Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx