[jdt-core-dev] Using JDT For API Documentation Tool

I'm writing a tool in Java that will generate API documentation similar to Javadoc, but without the requirement for special tags or comments in the source code file. The result will be professional looking API documentation without cluttered source code.

I would like to build my tool with some existing code that parses a java source code file and provides methods that will allow me to access the different parts of the source code file. In particular, I need to be able to pull out method declarations and variable declarations.

I know that this type of java source code parser must exist as part of Eclipse's Java Development Tools. What class or group of classes should I look at? How hard will it be to use these classes outside of Eclipse? (I'd like the tool to run stand alone as part of an Ant Build, but I hope to also integrate it as an Eclipse Plug-In.)

Thanks for any information.

The Sunburned Surveyor

Back to the top