Re: [jaxrs-dev] Request for extension with Application interface

I never came across any technical *need* to put more than one application into one WAR, neither could anybody so far explain to me why we *want* to do that, as it is pretty simple to link two WARs to one shared utility JAR. For me there always was that unwritten paradigm of a WAR being the package around *one* application.

Just my 2c.

-Markus

From: jaxrs-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jaxrs-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ron Sigal
Sent: Dienstag, 8. Januar 2019 00:56
To: jaxrs-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [jaxrs-dev] Request for extension with Application interface

Hi Christian and Santiago,

Thanks for your responses. It seems that we're all on the same page at least as far as agreeing that further clarification is called for.

  1. One question is: How common in practice is it for a WAR to contain more than one Application? In the RESTEasy issue I mentioned, "Same JAX-RS Application instance injected across applications" (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/RESTEASY-1709), the reporter said, when asked for sample code, "I'll try to put together something simpler, for a number of reasons: not supposed to post internal code publicly, too large and complex etc.". That suggests that the question arose from a real application. I'm sure there are people on this mailing list that have some sense of the answer.

  2. If, in fact, it is somewhat common, then some people would be unhappy if the JAX-RS spec ruled it out. I guess the only options would be

    A. Leave things as they are

    B. Formalize the whole thing

  3. If the decision is to formalize multiple Applications in a WAR, then I think it would require defining a "JAX-RS Application Scope" as per section 2.4.2 "Defining new scope types" of JSR 365 Contexts and Dependency Injection for Java 2.0.

Thanks,
Ron