Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] committers: The jakartaeetck-nightly-run-master job will now prompt for the tests to run

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 1:22 PM Lance Andersen <lance.andersen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jun 29, 2020, at 1:06 PM, Alwin Joseph <alwin.joseph@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 28/06/20 1:06 am, Scott Marlow wrote:
Hi,

The Jenkins jakartaeetck-nightly-run-master [1] job that runs the Full Platform TCK tests will now prompt for the list of tests to run.  I made this change so we would have a way to run a subset of tests.

For example, test run [2] was started with just "jpa_pmservlet jpa_puservlet jpa_stateful3 jpa_stateless3" tests.

I am not sure exactly of the meaning of the use of "_pmservlet", but assume that indicates which test vehicles to run the JPA tests with.  The more obvious use is to specify the test folder path, as in "ejb30/bb" is the tests within the "src/com/sun/ts/tests/ejb30/bb" folder.  This may be useful when you need to run a smaller subset of tests.
Yes Scott, "_pmservlet" means the vehicle is pmservlet. [1] picks the vehicle the test will run. It was introduced probably because the test run in all vehicles takes longer and it seemed better to separate the runs in different stages.

The JPA Tests run in the following vehicles:

The persistence tests are run in a variety of "vehicles" from which the entity manager is obtained and the transaction type is defined for use. There are six vehicles used for these tests:

  • stateless3: Bean-managed stateless session bean using JNDI to lookup a JTA EntityManager; uses UserTransaction methods for transaction demarcation

  • stateful3: Container-managed stateful session bean using @PersistenceContext annotation to inject JTA EntityManager; uses container-managed transaction demarcation with a transaction attribute (required)

  • appmanaged: Container-managed stateful session bean using @PersistenceUnit annotation to inject an EntityManagerFactory; the EntityManagerFactory API is used to create an Application-Managed JTA EntityManager, and uses the container to demarcate transactions

  • appmanagedNoTx: Container-managed stateful session bean using @PersistenceUnit annotation to inject an EntityManagerFactory; the EntityManagerFactory API is used to create an Application-Managed Resource Local EntityManager, and uses the EntityTransaction APIs to control transactions

  • pmservlet: Servlet that uses the @PersistenceContext annotation at the class level and then uses JNDI lookup to obtain the EntityManager; alternative to declaring the persistence context dependency via a persistence-context-ref in web.xml and uses UserTransaction methods for transaction demarcation

  • puservlet: Servlet that injects an EntityManagerFactory using the @PersistenceUnit annotation to create a to Resource Local EntityManager, and uses EntityTransaction APIs for transaction demarcation

Thanks Lance!  Very much appreciated!

I'm not sure if it was clear from the previous response, but apparently when we specify the TCK vehicle name as the last part of the test name (e.g. test path + '_' + vehicle name), then that acts like a filter to only run those tests in the path under that vehicle (as done by the [1] linked scripting).  I'm sure you understood this, just pointing this out for others that are following. :)

Regards,
Scott

[1] https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck/blob/f04a7b664c5412ec18a6d7694b45def5316d1027/docker/run_jakartaeetck.sh#L21

Note that we are still seeing a lot of Jakarta Server Faces failures due to [3] that should be resolved by [4] when that lands in GlassFish 6.

We need to better understand the other remaining test failures, perhaps we could try running only some of the failing tests to see if they still fail when run alone.

Scott