Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] Branching and maintenance

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 10:57 AM Ed Bratt <ed.bratt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There has recently been some discussion in a recent PR about the 8.0
branch in the TCK repository. I don't intend this to be commentary on
that specific thread however ...

I just want to put in my vote that we really need a maintenance plan
(branching, release maintenance, etc.) for 8.x. We will need the same
for releases going forward. Our experience is that vendors continue to
require/discover maintenance issues on these releases long after they
are finalized. (Years, maybe even decades. That is life-times in the
life of many projects.)

So, I would urge that a plan needs to be in place and it probably ought
to be documented in a well known location so there isn't confusion about
it and there is the best probability of long term continuity. Please
consider the this so the prospective maintainers, years from now, will
know what to do when they come across those issues and want to apply
their fix.

My vote is +1 on doing this.

IMO, this could be on a long term wiki [1] page that captures the plan for 8.x.

I would like to see us get into the practice of adding/updating process related documentation also on the long term wiki [1], in a way that can continue long term as well.

Scott

Thanks,

-- Ed