Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] What is the plan for building jaxb-tck?

Hi Scott,

We'd be grateful for assistance. I will let Bhat, Ankit and others chime in about where you and/or other community members can best contribute. Once all the third party components are approved by the Eclipse EMO, we can start moving the Jenkins work forward. There are other components which will have to be adjusted as the platform moves to higher Java SE versions. No doubt this will be part of the Jakarta EE evolution work.

Summary of the plan

We expect to create Jenkins build jobs, similar to what we have done with the other TCKs. JAXB TCK, since it is not included in the uber jakartaee-tck project will have separate build jobs that are included with Jenkins for "Eclipse Project for JAXB" (here) and we intend to add another sub-job to the general "stand-alone" TCK aggregator in the jakartaee-tck Jenkins jobs (e.g. jakartaeetck-nightly-run). This will be similar to what we do with the JavaMail TCK. This might not be done right away since this isn't a required element of Java EE 8.

At this point, with respect to Java EE 8, and probably Jakarta EE 8, the JAXB TCK testing won't be strictly necessary (but Jakarta EE 8 isn't written yet so this is not a certainty). Almost certainly it will be required by subsequent Jakarta specifications when the platform moves to higher versions of the runtime, where JAXB is no longer available by default. (In case anyone reading this is curious: JAXB is deprecated in Java 9 and 10 and eliminated in 11. Google found this article, by Jesper de Jong, which includes a nice explanation of what's happened and what to do for general Java applications.)

We look forward to Jakarta EE specifications that will provide the requirements for addressing changes necessitated by the evolution of Java SE runtime.

-- Ed