Re: [jakartaee-spec-project-leads] [ee4j-pmc] Preparing for Jakarta EE 8 Release

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 12:16, Lukas Jungmann <lukas.jungmann@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On 7/12/19 1:07 PM, Tom Jenkinson wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 11:54, Tom Jenkinson <tom.jenkinson@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:tom.jenkinson@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     I have two questions about this:
>
>     On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 at 18:00, Ivar Grimstad <ivar.grimstad@xxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:ivar.grimstad@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         *First, a message to all the specification project leads:*
>         You are strongly encouraged to join this mailing list:
>
>         We are on a tight schedule to get the Jakarta EE specifications
>         ready for the Jakarta EE 8 Release. I am in the process of
>         creating GitHub issues in the projects that will be followed up
>         here: https://github.com/orgs/eclipse-ee4j/projects/15
>
>         If you don't have an issue created for you yet, please feel free
>         to create an issue titled "Prepare Jakarta XXX for the Jakarta
>         EE 8 Release" with the following content in your issue tracker:
>         -----
>         ### Instructions
>
>         - [ ] Update text files
>

>     Should we be doing something about acronym usage within the Java
>     source files too.
>     For example:
>     a. @Since doclets such as
>     https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jta-api/blob/EE4J_8/src/main/java/javax/transaction/Transactional.java#L55
>     where we reference JTA 1.2 - personally I think that is fine as it
>     is factual
>     b. Reference to old acronyms to describe the behaviours in the
>     javadocs. For instance "JTA transaction" in
>     https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jta-api/blob/EE4J_8/src/main/java/javax/transaction/Transactional.java#L77
>     could be changed to "Jakarta Transactions transaction"
>

> I think b) is probably covered by
> https://jakarta.ee/legal/acronym_guidelines/ and should be changed
>
> It is still not clear to be if a) is right to leave or not. Maybe I
> should change it from:
> @Since JTA 1.2 to @Since Java Transaction API(A trademark of Oracle) API
> 1.2 or something like that?

for JPA, I was changing '@since JPA 2.1' to '@since 2.1'. For JAXB/WS
and related, I was putting the 'JAX* refers to..' note  to the
package-level javadocs because '@since 6, JAXB 2.1' means that the API
was introduced in JDK 6 with JAXB 2.1 and did not find better way -
keeping @since 6,2.1 would look confusing. Alternative approach to
tackle this I was thinking about was to completely remove all those
@since tags as within the context of Jakarta, these tags are not so
relevant but found this too aggressive...

Agreed, I think I will just have @Since 1.2 or whatever - thanks!

thanks,
--lukas