Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [cdi-dev] Discussion: The new structure of EE integration sections

"TCKs are not a right justification for requiring the creation of new specifications."

Why? The TCKs are what specifications base claims of compatibility on, and they trigger IP flow. One should be able to write the CDI core specification with its TCK tests, and deal with integration behavior and tests separately. This is valid both in terms of dependencies and ensuring the right set of experts is involved.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 11:18 AM Nathan Rauh via jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It’s certainly true that a specification that covers CDI integration will need TCK tests of the CDI integration.  There are a variety of strategies already available for ensuring TCK coverage.  Platform TCKs are one good place for covering integration.  Component TCKs can do so as well, provided they have modes for running in Jakarta EE profiles vs standalone.  The latter would require a compile dependency to build the TCK, but no run time dependency on CDI when running in the standalone mode.  I don’t see why that should be a problem because TCKs already have compile dependencies on all sorts of artifacts.  But if Jakarta Persistence for some reason doesn’t want that approach, they still have the option of covering integration requirements in platform TCKs.  TCKs are not a right justification for requiring the creation of new specifications.

From: Emily Jiang <emijiang6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, November 17, 2023 at 10:43 AM
To: Nathan Rauh <nathan.rauh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [cdi-dev] Discussion: The new structure of EE integration sections

Nathan, Not sure whether you were on this week's platform call. If spec has the CDI dependencies, the TCKs will have dependencies on CDI. I think Lukas does not want the spec to rely on CDI. The runtime that supports both CDI and Persistence

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart

This Message Is From an External Sender

    Report Suspicious    ‌

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

Nathan,

Not sure whether you were on this week's platform call. If spec has the CDI dependencies, the TCKs will have dependencies on CDI. I think Lukas does not want the spec to rely on CDI. The runtime that supports both CDI and Persistence can use CDI extension to provide the additional Beans such as EnitityManager for injection.

Thanks

Emily