Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Should we consider rebasing Enterprise Beans Lite to a mapping/extension on top of CDI?

Agree it is also used by a lot of Payara customers.

From: jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Brian Stansberry via jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2023 6:17:47 PM
To: jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Brian Stansberry <brian.stansberry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Should we consider rebasing Enterprise Beans Lite to a mapping/extension on top of CDI?

Agreed. The WildFly and EAP implementation of remote EJB is very heavily used.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 10:15 PM David Blevins via jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I also know quite a lot of people using remote EJBs in their backend architecture.  It’s a perfectly valid usage.

Reminder to everyone as well, remote EJBs != binary protocol.  Implementations can use any protocol they want (REST included).

I know we have a ton of features in OpenEJB's protocol around optionally layering over http, client-side load-balancing, dynamic client/server discovery over UDP or TCP, sending updated lists of available servers to clients as part of routine responses, robust failover options, security features, observable events for all internal activity, metrics built into the protocol that allow for end-to-end awareness of serialization time vs invocation time vs network time.

Definitely I’d use Jakarta REST for anything a 3rd party would invoke, but for internal communication you can get some amazing features out of remote EJBs.

--
David Blevins