Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Clarification on versioning and what it means for breaking changes

Good start, but I would also like to define the rules for pruning like we used to have:

How long does some certain method/feature be marked as deprecated before we get rid of it?

This is actually what it is about. I have no problem with the removal of some long time deprecated methods and features (we used to do this in JavaEE as well, e.g. CMP - rarely but still).
Of course I do have a problem with backward-incompatible changes from one version to the other.

I think semver is not the real problem here. Although I think it is also not really the final solution as it is too wide grained.
What downstream users need is some well understood compatibility rules. They need time to adopt and the possibility to have a transfer phase for their code. Otherwise there is not much reason for a specification anymore if things can go willy nilly from one version to the next.

LieGrue,
strub